Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The 1 a.m. walk.

If I can actively remember to follow my own decision, I've decided to start all the titles of future blog posts with the word "the," just because it sounds uniform and is vaguely reminiscent of the nomenclature of TV episodes (i.e. Friends' episodes were always in the form of "The One..." and Scrubs' episodes, per J.D.'s voice-overs and monologues, always start with "My...").

Now onto this blog's topic: the 1 a.m. walk. That's right; Nick and I went on a walk at 1 a.m., and it was utterly refreshing. We can usually talk just fine in our apartment, at the dinner table, around friends, et cetera, but it's only in a few rare locations and situations that we talk fluently and naturally with each other. We've decided that walks are one of these situations.

On this particular walk, we realized that we both want to move to Colorado Springs, CO. So then we realized that the best step to acheiving that goal is for me to get a job. Fortunately, I have an interview set up with Alpha Omega on Monday, and though I'm highly nervous, I'm also anticipating the interview like none other now that I have an actual life goal in mind.

The walk was also quite liberating due to the fact that we saw no other living soul except for one person driving a car, and that car was also the only car we saw running and on the road. We started out from our apartment walking down the middle of the road, which I had to admit to Nick I'd never done before because you can't really do such things in Phoenix very long or you'll get killed. Seeing no one else, and walking down the middle of the road without fear of being hit, made me feel in control for some reason. I thought to myself, "I own this city." I felt like Nick and I were the only two people who existed on planet Earth for those brief 30 minutes. And we could do anything we wanted, because damn it, we ruled not just the town, but the entire world.

I know this mindset of ridiculously empowered and completely unswervable young adult-ism will not last forever. But that's okay. It allowed Nick and I to finally smell that one tree growing outside of West Hall dorms, because it was 1 a.m. and the wind wasn't blowing. It allowed Nick and I to walk hand-in-hand down the middle of the road, because it was 1 a.m. and there was only one car on the road our entire walk. It allowed Nick and I to share our dreams with each other, because it was 1 a.m. and no one but God could hear us and smile.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© Woman Friday, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena